As a college student, one is required to write a series of essays that gauge their understanding of different topics and how they can apply the knowledge in their work. An argumentative paper is one of the many academic writings you will be required to write. To write the best argumentative essay, you need to have great research and planning skills. You will need to create an outline and write from this outline.
Before you can write your paper, the first thing you will need to do is pick an argumentative essay topic. This is one of the most challenging parts of writing an argumentative essay. Your topic will determine how rich or shallow your essay is, and will play an important role in the grade you get. Here is everything you need to know about choosing the best argumentative topic for your essay.
What is an argumentative essay?
An augmentative essay is academic writing where students present both argumentative sides of a topic. As the writer, you can choose to present both sides of the argument equally or to lean more on one side of the argument. For you to write the perfect piece, you need to thoroughly investigate a topic by collecting and evaluating evidence and presenting it to the readers clearly and briefly.
An argumentative essay poses a question and answer backed with compelling evidence. In its core, it is meant to favor a specific view point. Even so, the topic needs to have multiple sides that can be explored. Through the evidence you present, the reader or audience can explain, weigh or judge the sides presented.
Why do you need to choose an argumentative topic?
While lecturers can give topics for students to write on, most of them prefer to let students pick their topics. This is done to:
- Assess the critical thinking of the student
- Allow the student to choose a topic they are most comfortable with and passionate about
- Assess whether the students understand the concept of argumentative writing and allow them to explore different topics.
By choosing your own topics, you are able to argue from your point of view as you explore your writing, research and analytical skills.
What makes the perfect argumentative topic?
The best way to pick the best topic for our argumentative paper is to go for a topic that presents a lot of debate and stance. Going for a topic with no clear answers or perspectives that are not 100% accurate can leave your research with a lot of grey areas. The best topic should give you numerous sources to build a case against each argument from your point of view.
To choose the perfect topic for an argumentative paper, you need to ask a few questions:
- Are there ongoing debates on the topic?
- Does the topic present two or more opposite stances?
- Do you know where to find facts and info to argue equally on all sides?
- Does it provoke strong opposing opinions?
- Is it a topic you feel strongly about?
- Are there too many grey areas that may stand in the way of your writing a compelling essay?
Choosing the best argumentative topic
Generally, there are three rules for picking the best topic for an argumentative essay. They include:
- Pick a strong statement that you can argue for or against.
- Pick a series of questions that describe your argument
- Pick a topic that will convince a specific audience
There are several sources you can go to for the best argumentative essay topics. The best thing about these types of essays is that you can find a topic from observing what is happening around you. You can easily come up with a topic from watching TV, reading newspapers, and following political arguments.
The internet is one of the best places to search for argumentative essay topics. Numerous sites offer perfect controversial ideas for topics. For instance, Quora is one of the best places to check for questions that can be turned into argumentative topics. Message boards and forums can be interesting places to look for ideas. These represent issues most people are dealing with in the modern-day.
Music and literature are also fantastic sources of topics for argumentative essays. Law, medicine, religion and history can also offer very helpful insight. Generally, everything around you has the potential of creating a fantastic topic for your essay.
A topic should be:
Current - the most compelling argumentative essays are those that center on current events. It can be current affairs of current coursework. Whatever topic you choose, ensure it is recent and relevant.
Debatable – your topic should be phrased in a way that displays an argument that needs to be made.
Researchable – while argumentative essays have a lot to do with your point of view, they cannot be fully formed from your perspective. The best topic should be researchable and should challenge some of your own beliefs.
Manageable – your topic should not be too broad. Ensure you can narrow the subject down to a more concise topic to be able to keep it within the required word limit and to ensure you can make the best argument.
Argumentative topic ideas you can work with
Legal argumentative essay topics
- Does outlawing controlled substances create a larger black market?
- Does the US law system offer enough protection for victims of domestic abuse?
- In what situations, if any, does a woman have a right to an abortion?
- Is the process of electoral vote fair?
- Should the death penalty be abolished?
Ethical argumentative essay topics
- Are oppressed minority groups kept back by policies that encourage them to see foreign cultures as innately superior?
- Are parents overexposing their children online?
- Do patients have a right to die via physician-assisted suicide?
- Does freedom of speech give people the right to use hate speech?
- Is animal testing necessary?
Social argumentative essay topics
- At what age should citizens be allowed to vote in the United States?
- Do prisoners deserve the right to vote?
- Excessive alcohol consumption in minors – does it stem from too much freedom and lack of parental control?
- Should more rights be given to immigrants?
- Should the United States make English the official national language?
Technology argumentative essay topics
- Are mobile phones spy applications an invasion of privacy?
- Are modern young people too dependent on computers?
- Is TypeScript a future of front-end development?
- How do people survive in the age of technological explosion?
- What will our world look like in technological sense in the next century?
Health-related argumentative essay topics
- Government has to provide premium health care
- Supplements used to cure cancer
- Are gay couples under the threat of HIV more than straight pairs?
- Going to the hospital versus self-treatment.
- Can technological devices cause cancer?
Medical Argumentative Essay Topics
- How is type 2 diabetes is related to foot ulcers?
- Issues surrounding organ donation.
- The problems associated with organ donation in the black market.
- Is there a need for better health policies?
- Medical marijuana has proven positive effects on many diseases.
Topics touching on society
- Why is the death penalty such a controversial issue in contemporary society?
- Pros and cons of gun control.
- What are the possible drawbacks of democracy?
- What are the benefits of a highly competitive environment?
- Abortion as an ethical concept.
Best Argumentative Essay Topics
- The effects of Instagram on today’s youth.
- Can competitive behavior lead to issues in the long-run?
- Ignorance is a blessing. How far is it true?
- Bedtime storytelling is a dying art.
- The winners write history, and this makes it biased.
Controversial Argumentative Essay Topics
- Animal testing for beauty products should be banned
- The restriction on hunting should be dependent on environmental areas.
- Women still suffer from the glass ceiling effect.
- Medical marijuana prescriptions should be allowed to all the doctors.
- There is a need for human medical experimentation.
Funny Argumentative Essay Topics
- How a toy changed my life.
- Things that your driving instructor never told you.
- Why are funny cat videos so popular?
- Do dogs understand what we are saying?
- Why do cats act so entitled?
With the right argumentative essay topic, you are sure to present a well-written essay that touches on all sides of the argument clearly and elaborately. If you have a deadline quickly coming up and don’t have enough time to choose a topic and write your paper, there is always a group of professional waiting to write the perfect argumentative essay for you. Customwritershub.com has a pool of writers with relevant experience in picking topics and writing the best argumentative papers.